This diabetic biscuit recipe will be a holiday favorite. No need to worry about pounds gained with this bread. It is healthy and yummy, so serve yourself another helping of turkey.
1/4 cup Bulgar
1/3 cup boiling water
1 cup low fat yogurt ( plain)
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In a pan, boil the 1/3 cup of water. In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl put the Bulgar in. When the water has come to a full roaring boil, pour it over the Bulgar. Cover the bowl and set it aside for about 10 minutes.
2. Drain the bulgar. Return it to the large mixing bowl and stir in the next 4 ingredients.
3. Sift all your dry ingredients over the bulgar mixture and then stir until completely combined.
4. On a surface dusted with flour, lay your dough out. Dust the dough ball with flour and flatten using your hands until desired thickness. ( usually around 1/4 inch thick)
5. Use a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter to cut your biscuits out and place them on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 15 minutes. They will turn a light brown.
Servings: As many as you can make with a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter
Nutritional Facts Per Serving: 82 Calories, 2g Fat, .3g Saturated Fat, 13g Carbohydrates, 3g Protein, .9mg Cholesterol, 75Mg Sodium, 2g Fiber
Dietary Exchange: 3/4 Starch, 1/2 FatGreat Diabetic Biscuit Recipe