This diabetic cornbread recipe will be made numerous times at my house this winter. After all, you can't have chili without it!Cornbread cooking tips:
1. If you want your cornbread to cook more evenly, use a pie pan. It
exposes more of the batter to the heat, thus giving you evenly cooked
2. Want to change things up? Add something to your cornbread mix. The recipe below calls for ham, but you can swap those out of jalapenos or any desired goodie.
Servings: 8 = 1/8 of a loaf
Preperation Time: 10 Minutes
1 package of golden corn muffin bread mix (about 6.6 ounce box)
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup egg substitute
Optional Ingredients: 1/3 cup of chopped lean ham and 1/4 cup pecans chopped and toasted.
1. If you want to include the ham into the batter cook in a skillet over medium heat saute until ham has just browned. Remove ham from skillet and set aside.
2. in a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients and mix until moist, including the ham.
3. Coat a baking pan (8" round cake pan or 8" square baking pan) with cooking spray and pour batter into dish. Cook at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the bread and remove when it has turned light brown.
Nutritional Facts: 139 Calories, 5.0g Fat, 5.0g Protein, 20.0g Carbohydrate, .03g Fiber, 6mg Cholesterol, 358mg Sodium
Dietary Exchange: 1 1/2 Starch, 1 Fat