Diabetic fruit cake - My husbands' favorite type of cake is a carrot cake, but next in line is a delicious fruit cake. This recipe contains carrots along with almonds and raisins. A splash of rum adds something to this cake as well.
I love that I can make this fruit cake, store it properly, and it will last a very long time. It's easy to over-brown fruit cakes, so make sure to line the bottom and sides with foil. Always be sure to let the cake cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before removing it. If you are looking for a moister cake, add 1 cup of applesauce to the recipe!
Yield: 12 servings
2 cups Wholewheat flour
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/3 cup Low-fat margarine
1 cup Mixed dark and light raisins
1/2 cup Almonds, chopped
1/2 cup Hazelnuts, chopped
Rind of 1 orange fine grated
1 3/4 cup Grated carrots
1/2 teaspoon Mixed baking spices (allsp?)
1/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Granulated sweetener
2 Eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons Orange juice
2 tablespoons Brandy or rum (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350F. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and rub in the margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add fruit, nuts, orange rind, carrots and spices and mix well.
3. Mix the sweetener into the eggs and beat into the dry ingredients. Add enough orange juice to make a soft dough.
4. Put the mixture into 8" round or 7x7" nonstick cakepan and bake for 45-60 min. (or use larger pan and reduce cooking time) When ready, the cake should be firm to the touch and a toothpick should come out clean. Cool in the cake pan.
5. Turn out upside down, make a few toothpick holes in the bottom and spoon in any leftover orange juice and alcohol if using. Store in an airtight container.
Suggested icing is made with apples and cottage cheese.
12 slices each 180 cal 20 grams (2 units) carbohydrate (2 bread/starch exchanges), 4 grams fiber, 5 grams protein, 9 grams fat
Source: The Diabetics' Cookbook by Roberta Longstaff & Jim Mann 1984 Shared but not tested by Elizabeth Rodier Oct 93. A good diabetic fruit cake recipe!