This diabetic apple muffin recipe has just the right amount of sweetness. You could eat it for breakfast or for dessert. I love eating my fruit in a yummy way, it pleases my taste buds and my health. :)
Servings: 12 = 1 muffin each
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
2 cups multi-grain flakes
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2 1/2 tsp baking powder (low sodium, if you can find it)
1/2tsp nutmeg ( only if you desire)
1/2 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup raisins
2 egg whites ( already beaten and ready to pour)
3 tbsp vegetable oil ( sometimes i use olive oil instead)
1/4 cup sugar substitute
2tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix the first two ingredients in a bowl. Set it aside and let it stand for 5-8 minutes.
2. Pour the flour and baking powder, and nutmeg into your bowl of grain flakes and milk. Stir it really well.
3. In another bowl, stir in egg whites, sugar substitute, and vanilla until well blended. This is done best with a wire whisk.
4. Combine both of your mixtures together and stir until moistened.
5. Stir in apple chunks and raisins
6. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Put baking cups into a muffin tin. Fill the cups about 2/3 full.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes
Nutritional Facts/ Serving: 146 Calories, 37 Calories from Fat, 4g Fat, 1g Saturated Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 29mg Sodium, 26g Carbohydrate, 2g Dietary Fiber, 12g Sugar, 4g Protein