Diabetic Southwestern Egg Casserole - This casserole is a quick healthy meal that I try to rotate into our menu on a bi monthly basis. If you are avoiding eggs because of health concerns, you need to think again. Eggs are actually one of the cheapest ways to eat lean protein. There are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing eggs.
1. organic eggs are much better for you. They come from chickens that have not been given antibiotics or growth hormones. Also, organic eggs are higher in omega-3 fatty acis and vitamins A and E. Spend the extra dollar or two and buy organic.
2. If an egg is considered "free range" or "cage free" does not mean that it is organic. The USDA does not regulate these ... so be cautious.
Prep: 15 minutes
Chill: 8 hours
Cook: 1 hour, 20 minutes
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
8 large eggs
4 large egg whites
2 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled feta cheese1 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 1/2 cups salsa ( we love hot hot salsa, pick your favorite)
1. Cut tortillas in half; slice tortilla halves crosswise into 1-inch strips.
2. Combine eggs and egg whites in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in milk, cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in tortilla strips, feta cheese, and onions. Pour into a 13X9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and chill 8 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
4. Bake covered at 325 for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 20 minutes or just until set. Cool 5 minutes and cut into 12 pieces. Spoon salsa over and serve.
Per Serving: 194 calories, 7.5g fat, 13.3g protein, 18.8 g carbohydrate, 1.8g fiber, 156mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium.